Speaking of Dada

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spring in DC


Haven't written anything here in a while. My life has kind of been a mess lately, but spring has finally come to our nation's Capitol. This is the most European of American cities. The buildings aren't too tall, the boulevards are broad and impressive, and the streets are lined with cafes (at least in the wealthier part of town). It rejuvenates the soul to stroll along through the streets of DC and gaze upon the masses as they move through the languid pleasure of a soft spring day.

Louis J. Halle in his book Spring in Washington captures the feeling far better than I.

"The discovery of spring each year, after the winter's hibernation, is like a rediscovery of the universe. In my bleak winter quarters, preoccupied with the problems of the moment, I had forgotten the immeasurable richness and continuance of life. This recollected smell of fresh loam in my nostrils is the smell of eternity itself." (loam, in case you were wondering, means soil or earth. Had to look that one up on dictionary.com)

There is a world outside of me.

Thank God!!!

for I am hurt...in pain. But the earth, she is anew, reborn, reformed. At least, that's how spring makes you feel. It gives you hope that in the rebirth of nature, you might find your own rebirth, your own chance to start again. I have great hope for myself, and not just because it is spring. Spring simply makes it easier to hope. My hope for myself comes from within. This past winter has forced me to look inside myself and find myself again. I like what I see. There is an inner happiness there that is waiting to jump out. Spring gave it an excuse.

Thank God!!! for spring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home